Design Philosphy

 


This reads a bit like a manifesto to me so I thought it would be good to look at, it was written by Joseph Muller-Brockmann and focuses on his use of grids and the philosophy of design. I quite like this manifesto as it focuses on the idea of making the design as clear and readable for the audience as possible, he says that using his grid system will mean you apply to "laws of universal validity" which seems a bit forceful really. While I believe the grid system that Brockmann created and is now used by most designers is incredibly useful and good for design, this idea of using them to obtain validity is wrong to me in some way. I think design is more about being creative so why should we, excuse the odd pun here, box ourselves in by keeping to this ruleset. At the end of this Brockmann writes that "every visual creative work is a manifestation of the character of the designer" this again I agree with wholeheartedly and I think even goes against what Brockmann is writing, if he thinks this doesn't it meant that a designer is free to do what he or she feels is right for their designs and use case?

It might be interesting to see how easy, free or hard it is to design when not using grids. Is there something to grid systems giving a design a "universal validity"

Graphic Design theory: readings from the field. Armstrong, Helen. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2009.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Grids

Analysing Myself

Starting Somewhere?