Graphic Design Rules - Part 2

 


The next book I looked at was "Stop Stealing Sheep" by Erik Spiekermann and E.M. Ginger, much like "Grid Systems" this book aims to be a teaching application for Graphic Designer so they can begin or fully understand the basics of Graphic Design that is the use of type and layout. However, unlike "Grid Systems" which I felt was written so if a designer doesn't use the techniques outlined in the book they are not a Graphic Designer, this book gives advice and points out where designers go wrong with type.


Here for example where the type starts being really close to the rest and bunched up and then starts to move away from each other. I think this is a really good way of showing how to design with type and what pitfalls a designer can fall into. However I'm just not sure this is going to help me in answering the project question, I think focusing more on manifestoes and what rules they create would be more interesting to me and answer the question more effectively.

Stop stealing sheep: & find out how type works. Spiekermann, Erik; Ginger, E. M., Berkeley, Calif: Adober Press. 2003.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Grids

Analysing Myself

Starting Somewhere?