Continuing my methodologies

 
Continuing to investigate my methodologies I decided to make another poster however this time I would try and steer away from using grids, leaning on already comfortable design styles such as swiss design, and just try to push myself further to create a poster in 5 minutes. This is what I created...


As you can see I found it very hard to move away from the swiss style of design or even design without a grid, when you watch the video of me designing this you will see that while I didn't first create a grid I feel I still used one, just one that was in my head and forced me to design like this. While I know grids are important and help to make a design more readable and better for the reader I just wanted to see if I was able to do it without and what it would look like. As it turns out I can still design without a grid by creating a grid in my head. I think this is both a good and a bad thing, while I may not be able to let myself go free with my designs at least I know that I have some sort of eye for keeping my designs within the system.


An interesting parallel between this and the previous poster I made under a time limit was the fact that I always started with the block of text, I first worked out how I would want to split it and how it would fitinto what ever the design was going to look like. I then design around these text blocks, its an interesting way of designing and makes me wonder where I picked this up from or if its just something I am comfortable with when it comes to designing. Do I do all these automatically and have learnt these methodologies over the past 4 years?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Grids

Analysing Myself

Making something?